Hi. Peace be upon you if you are reading this, whoever you are. Stumbling on this page may be either coincidence or you may have been directed by interest. My birth name is Heire Augustin. I am a Singaporean Malay and currently I am 31 years old and I decided to start writing again. In my younger days (which if I recall, weren't that long ago) I used to literally write on a diary. I had 3 of them, which I painstakenly decorated and adored. Yes, I might just fall into the narcist name calling for that.
I am blessed to have a somewhat different childhood. I grew up swatting mosquitos and burning dead leaves on Pulau Ubin (Ubin Island). I am even more fortunate to have found a job on the island and even stay there.
It is a simple wooden house that is neither connected to the grid nor has running water. It does have a diesel generator that when connected to a dynamo generates 220-240v electricity (used when my uncle comes), a 80w solar panel with 80AH battery supplying 12v electricity to power 3 x 5watts led bulbs and a water pump for the well. I use the renewable energy to charge my handphone and light up the house at night. I can use it to power the water pump too.
Now this can be a little overwhelming for a normal Singaporean because back on mainland, the government ensures these needs are catered for. But on the island, it is pretty much back to the 60s (except for the solar energy). I will do a separate post on the solar system.
I must say living on the island is not easy. Fighting mosquitos, keeping monkeys and wild boars at bay, insects (centepedes which I was bitten ny a few days back while sleeping) bees and snakes. But that is a small price for its beauty and adventure which on the mainland lacks. I often bring out my 2 seater kayak to the water channel (inbetween Pulau Ubin and Singapore) to fish, whether or not I get fish thats secondary. I wake up in the mornings to birds chirping and roosters crow. I do get to bathe naked in the open (seriously) without getting arrested or 'Stomped' (a Singaporean lingo used when something is captured and posted on the Stomp website).
I spend part of my day hanging out by the taxi stand at the jetty watching visitors passing by and talking with other villagers. I keep myself updated listening to BBC World Service and enjoy reading. I am currently picking up programming.
It is an alternate lifestyle that may not be suitable for everyone. But here is the journey.
Ps: I write about anything under the sun.


No comments:
Post a Comment